CRIMSON HEAD ELDER

Survival Horror Community & Podcast

RESIDENTS FORUM

Forum Home > THE SPENCER MANSION > Gary Krawford Exclusive Interview

George Trevor
Site Owner

To celebrate the recent announcement for the proposed remake of Resident Evil 2 (Biohazard 2 New Rehabilitation Program), we just had to showcase one of the game's most legendary & iconic characters... and then we decided to showcase not one, but two:

Gary Krawford, actor for both popular fan favourite Robert Kendo, and one of the most sinister & insidious characters in survival horror Raccoon City Police Chief Brian Irons, will exclusively answer our residents questions on the next Crimson Head Elder Podcast. And residents can post their questions below:

August 5, 2015 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3
This is great! I loved Gary's performance as RPD Chief Brian Irons. It was creepy yet subtly so. My question for Gary is were you involved with the original version of RE2 (RE 1.5) as both Chief Irons and Robert Kendo/John or were you hired for the final build of the game only?
August 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Bl00dy3y3 at August 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM

This is great! I loved Gary's performance as RPD Chief Brian Irons. It was creepy yet subtly so. My question for Gary is were you involved with the original version of RE2 (RE 1.5) as both Chief Irons and Robert Kendo/John or were you hired for the final build of the game only?

Great question, and I wonder if he has been contacted regarding any other build of Resident Evil 2 (maybe one that's being planned...), I'll have to ask !

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

August 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

If RE2 gets the complete rebuild from ground up as expected then I cannot see Capcom getting back in contact with the original cast. They've shown little regard for past VAs when it comes to their roles being reprised. Unfortunately consistency has never been Capcom's strong point when it comes to character development. I would so like to see the original cast used for this "Rehabilitation Program" that RE2 is receiving and any info you can glean from Mr Krawford on this would be very intriguing.

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

August 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

This is going to be exciting! Now to the questions!

1: Were you told that Chief Irons was a man who had a dark side to his modest and yet mysterious character? To the point that he was a killer?

2: If you were given the chance to voice these two characters again if Resident Evil 2 is remade, would you take it before anyone else did?

3: Has anyone told you you voice two iconic characters of the whole franchise? 

4: When you were doing Robert, did you become informed about his character?  The same with Chief Irons?

5: Have you met the other voice actors?

6: Don't shoot, I'm human! - Do you recall your famous line from Robert Kendo?

7: What can you remember when you were hired for the job to voice these two characters?

8: Which one was your favorite to voice?

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

August 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bl00dy3y3

George Trevor at August 5, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Bl00dy3y3 at August 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Great question, and I wonder if he has been contacted regarding any other build of Resident Evil 2 (maybe one that's being planned...), I'll have to ask !

Thanks! You know, I never thought about the possibility that he might be asked to return. Namely, because Capcom has never had just one VA stick with their respective characters for anymore than one entry. With a few exceptions; most notably Alyson Court. However anything is possible. I didn't like the VA's they used for Irons and Kendo in RE:DSC. I'd love it if they got Gary back for both characters because I personally can't invision any other voice in my head when I see Irons or Kendo. That's not to say I'm not open to new VA's giving their take on the characters. But the voice acting in RE2 wasn't nearly as bad as RE1. I think trading all those iconic performances in for new ones, Will be (for me atleast) a little harder too swallow.
August 5, 2015 at 8:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

Question: Were there any lines that made you laugh?

August 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamuraiEdge

Bandage131 at August 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Question: Were there any lines that made you laugh?

My first guess would be "don't you worry girly, you'll be safe in here I'm keeping a close eye on things". If I was Claire I would've felt safer on the streets after hearing him say that.

I suppose I was wrong about not getting anything good out of a Bio 2 Remake, thanks entirely to this amazing site. While his performance of Kendo was decent for me, the way he voiced Irons was "true beauty". I really don't have enough amazing things to say about his performance with Irons. My favorite line of his was "She was a true beauty, her skin nothing short of perfection". I can still feel my spine tingling even after all these years and hundreds of playthroughs everytime I hear it.

August 6, 2015 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bandage131

I dunno, "EVERYONE'S GONNA DIE!" just sounds so hammy that it was probably delivered laughing a few times.

August 6, 2015 at 2:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Survivalist

This is going to be a special interview. Again, nice one for sorting it out, George Trevor. Irons is an excellent character, in terms of both his nature, and his role in Raccoon City. His performance is especially nuanced, which is why he is such a distinct and significant character in RE2, despite his brief appearance.

Questions:

About Irons: Did you base your interesting inflections on anything?

About Kendo: What are your thoughts on the gesticulations he uses in the shop while he's talking.

August 6, 2015 at 6:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NEMESIS

The roles you played did not require learning comprehensive lines, both characters had little dialogue, particularily Robert Kendo. Was it challenging connecting with these roles given the limited dialogue and are you surprised that these men are so famous - and infamous in the case of Brian Irons - in the RE universe despite having minor speaking roles?

--

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRS

August 7, 2015 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

USS Command
Administrator

1. Were there any other additional voices you did for the game? One of the USS guys("Eat this you freak!") always sounded like Brian to me.

2. Did you actually get to play the game, or any RE game before or after the job?

2.5 If so, any bad or good experiences you would like to share?

3. How was the actual recording experience itself?

4. Was there anything you liked or hated about the recording?

--

"I'll take my Survival Horror like I take my men" - George Trevor, September 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM
"I am so in love with CHE I almost put my willy in the USB port." George Trevor, September 20, 2018 at 12:53 PM
“Great love springs from great knowledge of the beloved object and if you know it but a little, you will be able to love it only a little or not at all.” - Leonardo da Vinci

August 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan Wenpei Mao

1. Do people recognize you when you talk or when you are walking around?
2. Did you record more lines for Chief Irons or Robert Kendo that weren't used? :)
3. Did the director give you direction to want he wanted with Chief Irons and Robert Kendo? :D
4. Do you have relatives that play the game that you voiced? What do they think?
5. Have you seen the movies and what is your opinon on them?

August 9, 2015 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

More questions and I apologize if there are any doubles.

1: Did you feel that your role as Robert Kendo should have lasted longer than that brief moment of peace when we run into that character in the start of the game?

2: Did you feel you could have done more voices in the game and/or the series of the games?

3: If they are remaking/remastering Resident Evil 2, are you hoping they will contact you to do the voices of these two iconic characters?

- -

Anyone on here ask him to read the letter that Kendo was going to send Barry? I'm trying to recall if someone did ask about him reading it for the podcast or do a recording like Ed did for Researcher's Will. Perhaps, if he wishes, can do something from Chief Irons diary. 

--

'The screams, the shouts, the pain, the nightmares...they'll never leave me, that asylum will never leave me...I suffer from it every passing night...what does Umbrella want of me?' - Shane Burns

August 10, 2015 at 12:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BSAArklay
Administrator

Looking forward to this podcast, cant wait to hear what Gary has to say and a huge thanks to him in advance for taking the time to be a part of it.

1. As far as I can tell this is your only video game voice actor role you have taken part in. How did this role come about?

2. Where you given any information on the characters or a specific way of voicing them?

3. Where you shown any footage or concept art of the characters you where to play prior to recording.

4. Do you know anything about 1.5? Since 1.5 was cancelled and RE2 had to be produced rather quickly to meet fans dissapointments from delays did the project feel rushed to you in anyway?

5. Has Capcom ever contacted you since your recordings?

6. Was you aware of the success of Resident Evil 2 post the games release?

7. What are your own feelings about Robert and Irons did you imagine their characters would have certain personalitys, traits or characteristics.

8. Was there much leeway given when reading your lines? Was it a strict word for word performance or was you given freedom to ad-lib.

9. Between the two characters which one was your preffered role? Maybe one you had more fun with, could relate to or just found interesting?

10. Is it suprising to you that after all this time fans still enjoy your performances on a regular basis as some of the most iconic characters in gaming history.

Thats all I can think for now. Those are just basic questions I am sure I will come up with more.

August 11, 2015 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James Marcus

Were you at any stage in talks with Capcom to reprise your roles for Darkside Chronicles? What do you think about the official announcement that Resident Evil 2 will be remade and can you comment on the choice of using the original or a new cast of voice actors?

--

I will have my revenge on Umbrella!

August 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOracleDragon
Administrator

Questions from Wonderman:

1: Did he also voice the truck driver that get's bitten from the opening movie?

2: Is he surprised that Chief Iron's yelling "Everyone's gonna die!" became so iconic and well remembered by fans? (It was used on shirts produced by Wildstorm Comics in case he asks. When they owned the rights to publish Resident Evil comics magazine.)

3:Can he remember any funny outtakes or stories from the voice recording sessions?

--

August 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Trevor
Site Owner

Cheers to all residents who have so far posted questions. The plan is to include our Gary Krawford exclusive live interview together with news reports for EGX 2015 (UK's largest video game expo for which the site has official professional press accreditation) and the Tokyo Game Show; all for the next & 5th CHE podcast, prior to the 6th CHE podcast, a Resident Evil Zero HD release feature with Riva Di Paola (actress for Rebecca Chambers).

--

Jessica... Lisa... Forgive me. May god justify my death in exchange for your safety.

August 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WiskUK

A question I could also ask Angus Waycott who played Morpheus: Are you aware of how much fandom, internet coverage & suplimentary material exists for your character/s, and considering how minimal your dialogue was does this surprise you?

--

Take the Green Herb?

August 17, 2015 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vito

TheOracleDragon at August 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM

This is going to be exciting! Now to the questions!

1: Were you told that Chief Irons was a man who had a dark side to his modest and yet mysterious character? To the point that he was a killer?

2: If you were given the chance to voice these two characters again if Resident Evil 2 is remade, would you take it before anyone else did?

3: Has anyone told you you voice two iconic characters of the whole franchise? 

4: When you were doing Robert, did you become informed about his character?  The same with Chief Irons?

5: Have you met the other voice actors?

6: Don't shoot, I'm human! - Do you recall your famous line from Robert Kendo?

7: What can you remember when you were hired for the job to voice these two characters?

8: Which one was your favorite to voice?

Number 6:

But that's Leon/Claire's line not Robert's!

Questions:

a) If you were asked to voice another character from the series, who would it be and why?

b) Which scene was your favorite to voice?

c) If you had to choose one of your characters to survive, which one will you choose and why?

August 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.